My progress...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Stalled

I haven't had much to say because I feel like I have plateaued a bit with the weight loss.  The honest truth is that your body is really only going to release so much weight before it puts the break on and holds on to some pounds for a bit.  The trick is not to get frustrated during this time, to keep doing what you are doing, and to trust that the results will come again soon.

For the past three or so weeks, I have been bouncing around in the same three-ish pound area, and I am working on not getting frustrated.  I am standing at a grand total of 32.6 pounds lost, and this is definitely something to be proud of!  However, with the frustration of a plateau comes a little slackening off of the good habits.  For example, I have hit the fast food drive thru a few times in the past two weeks for dinner options.  Now, I saved calories most of those days and stayed within my goal calorie-wise, but I didn't eat clean, healthy foods that were good fuel for my body.  I took days "off" on my healthy eating on Friday, Sunday, and Monday this weekend, as I let the holiday weekend and some planned social events get the better of me.

Now, the reality is that life is going to send these little challenges your way.  Not every day is going to be a textbook day of health eating.  However, it can be hard to move on after such transgressions.  So many of us let food make us feel guilty.  The Mexican fiesta I had on Sunday, followed by our Memorial Day potluck at work on Monday, could have sent me into a tailspin of self-loathing, as I punished myself for making "bad" choices by continuing to do so.

However, I got up today, had a little breakfast, and hit the gym for my best run yet.  I ran for 12 straight minutes today!  The last two minutes were kind of rough, but I was using my iPod's C25K app, and I was on a W4 workout, so I attempted (and managed) to jog through the first two run/walk segments.  W4 calls for three minutes of running, 1.5 minutes of walking, five minutes of running, 2.5 minutes of walking, three minutes running/1.5 minutes walking, and five minutes running, sandwiched between a five-minute warm-up and cool-down.  An issue I have with C25K is that once I get my heart rate up in a jogging segment, I hate to walk and bring it back down because I find I tire very easily in the next running segment.  Therefore, although I was about to jog for 12 straight minutes today, I don't know how I will do when I try to do the actual W4 workout on Thursday.  However, I want to do that workout a couple of time before I try moving on to W5...so the rest of this week and next week will be dedicated to attempts at the actual W4 workouts, with the knowledge in the back of my mind that I can jog 12 minutes in a row!  I felt fierce when I was done!  Oh, and I also jogged two minutes of the last run segment, so that was a total of 14 minutes of jogging today!  I am feeling pretty proud of myself!

I am heading out for lunch at Cosi with some friends from work and my mom, and then we are going to see Sex & the City 2 this afternoon!  I am such a fan of SATC and can't wait to see what's been up with Carrie and the girls since we last left them on Carrie's and Big's wedding day.  I especially can't wait to catch a glimpse of Aiden, who I always loved in SATC.  I know that Carrie and Big are soulmates, but she and Aiden were so good together too!  It must be hard to have to choose between these great men!

Anyway, make it a great day, everyone!

No comments: