My progress...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moving right along...

My sister posted something on Facebook the other day about a song that was stuck in her head, "Movin' Right Along" from The Muppet Movie.  I am a huge fan of the Muppets (although my favorite movie of theirs is probably The Muppets Take Manhattan), and I feel like this song has a lot to say about the journey I am on.  And this has been a big week!  Because I am going out of town for the weekend and will be away from my official scale, I weighed in today.  I am down an additional 2.2 pounds from last week for a grand total lost of 31.2 pounds since January 4!  I am so thrilled by this because it is the first time ever that I have been this successful for this long at a weight loss effort.  I feel like I can take on the world now, and I am not even finding it as difficult as I would expect it to be!  I am still eating what I want to eat, but I am eating "bad" foods less often and paying attention to my portions and moving more.  This diet and exercise thing really works!

And speaking of moving more, I hit a big milestone at the gym today.  As I have mentioned, I have been doing the Couch-to-5K program, and since I was in such bad shape when I started, I decided to do week 1 for two weeks in a row and week 2 for two weeks in a row.  Today was to be my third day of my second take on week 2.  For those not familiar with the exact layout of the program, during week 2, your goal is to run (or jog) for 1.5 minutes and walk for 2 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.  Today, when I got on the treadmill, I didn't want to be at the gym at all.  I am in total vacay mode because I don't go back to work until next Friday, and I plan to enjoy my time off.  But I got started anyway, which is a great first step.

At the end of my first 1.5 minute run, I still felt like I could keep going, so I decided to try to jog my way through the 2 minute walking segment as well.  Once I made it through that, I decided to piggyback the next jog on top of it.  And then I decided to jog the next walking segment as well.  All told, I jogged for the first SEVEN MINUTES of my 20 minute jog/walk   I then walked for 3.5 minutes, jogged for 3.5 minutes, walked for 3.5 minutes, and then jogged for the final 1.5 minutes of the workout.  I am so excited that I did this, and I no longer fear moving on to the week 3 workouts, which involve some 3-minute jogging  segments that should be no problem for me!  YAY!

My goal for the weekend (I am going with my parents to Pittsburgh to visit my sister and see her graduate with her MBA from Carnegie Mellon University) is to have fun but also get some exercise in and drink plenty of water.  I would expect that my eating habits will be a little off, as we are going out for two nice dinners and will probably eat our other meals out as well, but while I plan to enjoy myself, I don't plan to eat myself silly.  All things in moderation, right?

Make it a great day, everyone!

No comments: