My progress...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Weather

Just today, my street finally cleared up from our last snow storm, just in time for another storm to hit tonight.  As I sit here at my kitchen table, the sky is getting cloudier and cloudier, and the snow is expected to begin at any minute.  I am NOT a fan of winter weather and spend the entire weather in a constant state of heightened anxiety, so I am not a happy girl right now!  Because I am a nurse, I really have no choice but to make it to work when I am scheduled, and since I live on a mountain 40 minutes away from the hospital I work at, this means that winter can be challenging for me.

Right now, I am most upset about this impending storm, however, because it means that I probably won't be able to make it my usual Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow.  I am hoping that we will be dug out in time for me to make it to tomorrow night's meeting because if I don't make it to that one, it's my last option for the week. I am working Thursday night at the mall and Friday and Saturday at the hospital, so all of the other meetings this week conflict with my schedule.  I briefly thought of trying to get to the one tonight, but the snow is supposed to start by 5 PM, and the meeting isn't until 7 PM.  I think I will just take my chances with tomorrow night.  Normally, I wouldn't be all that bent out of shape about missing a week, but one of my New Year's Resolutions was to attend a meeting every week of 2011, and I would hate to give that up already in the second week of January!

Today, I want to talk a bit about goals.  I have started using the Ultimate 3 Month Tracker put out by Weight Watchers, instead of the weekly meal trackers, to track my eating and exercise.  I really like this tracker because it lists all the important parts of the day in a two-page spread, and it has areas for writing down what time you are eating, how you gauge your hunger level, what you eat, and how many PointsPlus you have left after eating each thing.  It also has some tips on various pages, as well as a place to track your Good Health Guidelines, your Activity PointsPlus values, and any thoughts for the day you might have.  At the beginning of each week, there is a page where you can set some goals for the week, as well as your exercise plan, and this week I decided to fill it out.  Here were my goals for the week:
  • track all week
  • 4 days of cardio
  • 2 yoga classes
  • multivitamins!
My exercise plan says this:
  • Day 1 - work
  • Day 2 - 60 min. cardio, yoga
  • Day 3 - 60 min. cardio
  • Day 4 - 60 min. cardio, yoga
  • Day 5 - 60 min. cardio
  • Day 6 - work
  • Day 7 - work
It is currently day 3 of my WW week, and I have broken several of these goals.  First of all, I have not taken a multivitamin at any point this week.  I own multivitamins...in fact, there are several different kinds sitting on top of my microwave.  However, not one has passed through my lips this week.  I also skipped both my 60 minutes of cardio and my yoga class yesterday, which means I have no hope of meeting my 4 days of cardio/2 yoga classes goal.  I did go to the gym today, although I didn't feel like it, and I did 30 minutes on the StairMaster and 30 minutes on the elliptical, followed by a stretch.  I don't know what the weather will mean for my gym time tomorrow, but I know that attending tomorrow night's yoga class might not work out with the WW meeting.  Actually, it could work out if I time everything perfectly, but it will take some motivation to do that.  

Moving forward, instead of just jotting down goals in this section of the tracker, I am really going to put some thought into them, and then I am going to put some thought into meeting these goals.  Maybe some weeks, it isn't realistic to think that I will get to the gym four days for an hour of cardio each day and twice for yoga.  Maybe on yoga days, I will not do as much cardio.  Maybe if I had set my sights a little lower yesterday, I would have made it to them gym for either cardio or yoga, instead of skipping both.  The weather does nothing to motivate me because it seems like such a better option to stay in bed and watch reruns of Grey's Anatomy on Hulu Plus right now.  One thing I do have to say is that I have been tracking my eating consistently for the last week and a half, and that is something!  Healthy living has such a learning curve, but I will get it!

Stay warm...and make it a great day, everyone!

No comments: